Let’s face it, miracles don’t happen, Rome wasn’t built in a day just like your weight gain didn’t happen overnight. And there is no quick fix for weight loss. I’m a lurker, I observe and say little at the time (because when I do open my mouth usually someone gets pissed off) but I’ve seen and heard some really silly things and I just want to settle a few things, maybe even save you some money in the end.
- Walking, jogging, running does not “build muscle”. If someone is telling you that you’re up on pounds or remained the same because you went for a few walks then tell them to shut up and give you your money back.
- Same goes for any steady state cardio – aerobics, dance, exercise to music. Unless you’re doing body weight training or lifting a substantial amount of weight, then you’re not “toning up” either.
- A “bad day” of “treats” is not going to make a huge difference on the scales. 1 pound of fat is 3500 calories. Unless you ate the whole stock of Willy Wonka’s factory then stop stressing out, put it behind you and start a new day.
- You cannot target fat loss on a body part – i.e belly fat. No wrap, cream, pill, wive’s tale or drop will reduce fat solely on your tummy. Fat loss is a full body process and a combination of HIIT, Cardio and weight training in conjunction with a well balanced diet will sort you out.
- A 30 Day “Ab Challenge” will only give you a swollen belly, if you’re already carrying a certain amount of belly fat. Your abs are already there under the fat!! Core work is good, for balance, posture and stability – don’t over train it for aesthetic reasons because you will be wasting your time.
- You DO need exercise in your life. Yes, it’s possible to lose weight just through nutrition, however there will come a point where you’ll either “plateu” or become “skinny fat”. To break through plateus your body needs a shock to the system, nothing that a good HITT session won’t fix. “Skinny Fat” is a term used for slender people who have a high body fat percentage and low muscle mass. The more muscle we have, the easier it is to burn fat. I could go on for days about why we should exercise, but I’ll save that for another blog.
- Fat does not “turn into muscle”. Nope. You burn body fat through using energy, i.e exercise. You build muscle by lifting weights – that muscle soreness (DOMS) that happens over two days later is your muscles growing new bits of muscle.
- Lifting weights will NOT make you ladies bulky. Unless of course you’re training in a specific manner to do so!!
- Lifting weights will NOT make you look like a man. Nope. Steroids do that. So lay off on the induced testosterone if you don’t want the “man face”.
- Detox for your gut health, not for weight loss. If you’re expecting to drop a load of weight after a detox, and KEEP it off, then just go eat pizza right now. It’s not going to happen.
- All Fad Diets have one thing in common: Calorie Deficit. It’s not the cabbage soup, or grazing on apples that make you lose weight – it’s starving yourself through these stupid diets that can be really bad for your health, and again like the detox, don’t expect to keep it off either.
So be smart. Have faith in people who do have your best interests at heart and stop buying or sharing the silly stuff, I might actually rub Vicks Vapo rub over my belly and wrap in cling film to actually show you how stupid it is.
Remember if it looks too good to be true, it probably is!!
Be well, and good luck!